Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Being an employee………

Last week I was reading a book called “Employee First Customer Second” written by Vineet Nayyar, CEO, HCL Technologies. I was impressed by the various ideas, thoughts and facts mentioned in the book. Not because I am an HCL employee so I liked the book but because I read the book from an employee’s perspective. I have read a couple of books on management, managers, employees but this book has something different to offer. It pleased me as an employee. It helped me understand that we all need to get out of our mundane working style and mechanical attitude. As an employee we have certain expectations from our organization and vice-versa. We need to understand that expectation doesn’t always indicate monetary or luxury benefits. It also indicates some responsibility. I don’t want to illustrate the philosophy mentioned in the book because that might not please everyone but I would like to express certain aspects in my way and as per my thinking.
You would all agree that we suffer from a serious workplace disease called “criticism”. The moment we get time we start criticizing our organization. Nobody in this world would be happy from his/her organization (Exceptions are always there). We keep highlighting the negatives and ignore the positives. I believe it’s a human nature and even I would be suffering with the same. But why do we forget that ‘charity begins at home’. I mean why we don’t spend time in criticizing ourselves or improving ourselves rather pointing finger towards the organization. Just think for a moment that it is this “workplace” that helps us earn our bread & butter. It is just like a second home to us where we spend more than half of the day. We ought to carry some respect. I know it sounds philosophical but I believe it’s not difficult. It is all a mind game. Imagine if we start loving everything about our workplace, what excitement we will carry… People with frustrated minds and bitching attitude may have a long lasting career but can’t have the respect in the minds of the people working around them.
The book talks about ‘Employees First and Customer Second” but we should not misinterpret the underlying meaning. All that benefits employees ultimately benefits our customer. A happy employee attracts customers. Today, customers are very smart. They would want to work with a company where they see passionate and sincere employees. A customer’s credibility sticks with an organization if he/she catches that spark and transparency among the employees. Vineet in the book says “Put employees first, customers will themselves follow”. So, True!
I know it’s easier to preach than to practice. But read this book as an employee not as a critic. You might not agree with many aspects but try look out for things that you liked about this book, about the philosophy. For me I believe it’s a philosophy that helps you widen your horizon as an employee. Now its upto us that whether we want to be a back bencher and throw criticism at the organization or be a part of that criticism and work for the betterment of the organization and off course ourselves. Nothing is perfect in this world because even the imperfection has lot to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment